Friday, December 4, 2009

December 4, 2009

DEC. 4 email

40 million orphans worldwide in the next 10 years...that is too much to think about. What in the world could I do? I feel like God has given me an answer to that question, and He is providing solution after solution, even in the midst of the housing and economic crisis. I wanted to bring you all up to speed on the Haitian orphanage project we are involved with, and ask you to pray for me during the next few weeks. I am not asking for any financial support. I am just so excited about what is happening, I wanted to encourage you and ask you to share in the blessing.

As many of you already know, our family has reconnected (after 22 YEARS) with a Haitian pastor friend from the 1980s. He is now 71 years old, and has been caring for orphaned children in a small orphanage he started during the many coups in Haiti in the late 80s. I have started making plans for a trip in January and I have numerous goals I want to accomplish (see below). I was telling a friend about a generator someone is interested in donating that would power a whole city block! She suggested, half-jokingly, that we should THINK BIG, and try to find a way to be a blessing to the whole community with that generator. We might have to get the government involved, but what the heck? We serve a big God and this is just one of many miraculous and serendipitous events surrounding this project on the back side of the world. It is astounding how interested the Lord seems to be in bringing aid to this little group of children and the community they live in. And the Lord is rewarding Pastor Val and his sister, Yrma, for the many years of sacrifice to care for the "least of these." (For the back story on Pastor Val, visit www.valschildren.weebly.com)

I am planning to get some solid information on this trip, and I have several major goals:
1. To check into adoption from this orphanage. My guess is Pastor Val has been so busy trying to parent all these people that he hasn't given adoption a second thought. I want to make that happen for him, if it would be helpful.
2. To discuss short, mid and long-term goals with Pastor Val. He is 70, and will need a successor at some point. He also owns 30 acres there and wants to build a better facility when the finances come in.
3. To arrange for shipping into Haiti. There is a lot of corruption at the borders, so finding a reliable way of getting supplies in is of utmost concern. One of my Kindergarten students from 1985 is now 30, and is a pilot with Agape Flights Int'l. I plan to visit with his family while there and see if there is a way to use their services. His father is Haitian, too, and could help with translation and other ideas.
4. To get photos and bio information on each child for sponsorship purposes.
5. Get the orphanage set up with some computers. I have had two donated; need a few more. I will be taking them in my luggage.
6. To follow up with Pastor Val on donations already given with photos and documentation.
7. In addition to these big things, I plan to host a party for the kids with cupcakes and gifts, deliver basics like clothing, medicines, vitamins, school supplies and have a little VBS.

And, as a bonus, I have reconnected with some of my students from those days in Haiti as a single gal, and I will be visiting with their families who are still there, 25+ years. They are some amazingly dedicated people to stay in a country like that for so long. I'll be speaking at chapel at the Christian school where I was a teacher. I will probably spend a few nights in Port au Prince with a family.

I really feel that God reconnected us with this Pastor for just a time as this; He has given us this little task, it's our little piece of solving the orphan puzzle. In the natural, it doesn't make sense, because our business has tanked with the serious problems in the housing industry. But somehow, God has continued to provide for Pastor Val, with or without us and He seems to be using us to facilitate the blessing.

I'm working every possible angle on supplies for this trip. So far, there are two of us going, but potentially three more. We can each check 100 lbs. of luggage. So I'm amassing all kinds of stuff. I've got two dentists donating dental clinic supplies; two laptops so far, need three more; fabric for sewing projects, and clothes and toys for the kids. Still need more...vitamins, basic meds/first aid supplies, underwear, shoes, some basic cooking supplies (pots/pans, mixing bowls, serving spoons/ladels, prep knives, metal dishes/cups/utensils). If you want to send anything, send it to me at 661 Cedar Grove Rd. Pittsboro, NC 27312 and I'll pack it up!

I've also just met a young man with a computer repair business who is helping me refurbish my old IBM Thinkpad to take to the orphanage. If you have an old laptop like this that just needs some TLC and you would like to donate it, let me know.

And, as a surprise (I think God likes to surprise us)...I found out recently with great joy, that another family has discovered Pastor Val and has been helping him in ways we hadn't thought of (mostly agricultural) and has been providing assistance during this tough financial time for our family. So where we are weak, God is strong!

Thanks for taking the time to read all this...if you made it this far... And thanks for praying over this project. God is OBVIOUSLY involved as so many things have happened that are unexplainable otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment